Thursday, August 26, 2004

 

Two New Games, Still Playing ESPN, Mr. Beecher


I went to get Dog's Life last night, but it wasn't in. I did find Powerdrome and a game that I had forgotten about, Galleon, on the shelf and picked up both. Powerdrome had been recommended to me by Webdanzer (www.webdanzersspin.com) when we were at Calvert Games. It never showed up at Blockbuster for rent so I went ahead and made the $29.99 plunge. I ran two races and put it away. I played Galleon for about an hour and then put it away. Neither are bad games. In fact I really want to try Powerdrome on Live, but I hear there is never anyone online. (Web, where are you?) Galleon has some great voice acting and the story is drawing me in. Any game that has a pseudo-pirate and ship theme is one that I will try.


The problem is I just don't want to stop playing ESPN NFL2k5. I read all over the internet about the shortcomings of franchise mode and the issue with the safeties blowing coverage and I just don't see it. Yes, I see the safety make an attempt to intercept or swat a ball and allow the receiver behind him, but I see it when I am on offense as well. Frankly, I find the game extremely well balanced to play and I get a good variety of games while most of the time being challenged to win. I find each team to have a personality and to play differently. In the off season I really have to pay attention to salary cap and make decisions to keep players or find their counterparts cheaper in the free agent pool or even replace them in the draft. ESPN NFL2k5 is a solid game and a lot of fun.


The meeting with the guy who wants to buy my business didn't go smoothly. The broker was there (representing me) and did most of the talking. Later she told me that he was the hardest sell she has ever had in 30 years. He reminded me of Mr. Beecher from I Love Lucy. Mr. Beecher was the character that was a nervous little mustached man that subleased the Ricardo apartment and then had to be scared away when they wanted the apartment back. The same actor also played Mr. Merriwether in the episode Seance from that series. I won't go into all the details of the issues he had, but the one that bothered me the most was as soon as he found out the demographics of my customer base (72% black, 27% white, 1% asian) he really looked bothered. I have never had an issue with any of my non-white customers (I'm white) in four years of working for them. I've never had an issue with any non-white non-customer while I was working in that area. When I told him about the area the pools were in (Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills, Windsor Hills....in short, money) he didn't even know where those areas were and hadn't heard of them. He lives in Marina Del Rey!! 2 miles away from them!! Anyway, he is "sleeping on it" and if he doesn't come through that is ok with me. I'm not exactly sure I want to train this fellow and spend more time with him. There will be another buyer along and until then I'll keep making the commute.


Comments:
"I ran two races and put it away"

Ouch! Make sure you get to the later tracks before dismissing it for good.

I haven't been gaming much lately since my Xbox blew up, but it's fixed now. I'll see if I can get on some Live tonight, say 11:30 or so EDT.

Sorry about the potential deal souring.
 
I didn't put it away because I didn't like it....ESPN just keeps pulling me back!!! The game looks good and the sense of speed is incredible.

I'll look for you tonight.
 
Thanks for the games, Ted. Wish we could find some others to race with, but at least we had the time to chat!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?