Thursday, January 13, 2005
Change of Direction
When I started this blog it was because JC shut down CG. More accurately he changed it into a personal blog instead of a gaming enthusiast website. I was disappointed because it was my favorite forum to hang out in and I really liked the crew over there. I also really liked being part of that crew. Life is full of change though, so I moved on and put together my own blog. I blogged because I still had ideas and opinions I wanted to share about games and gaming.
Over the few months that I kept a regular update going here I became less interested in writing about gaming. Partly because there are so many games that are released every year that it is hard to get really deep into any release before the pressure to have the new release is upon me. Partly because there are so many gaming websites and forums and people in those forums that I am bombarded with opinions and criticisms of each game before I can get too far into it. These opinions and criticisms always effect my own because it is human nature to look for something you didn't see before if somebody points it out for you.
In the end it just wasn't fun to write about the games anymore. Truthfully it wasn't as much fun playing them as in the past. The games are better looking, better sounding, have more depth and complexity, and there are more of them. Yet, for me, the fun factor was way down last year more than any other.
I still plan to write about gaming, but don't know what form that will take yet. I want to write other things as well since I do list other interests at the top of this blog. Hopefully those of you that read this (and I know there are at least 4 of you :)) will still find it interesting, entertaining, and informative.
Ted
P.S. I posted a pic so now you ex CGers can put a face to a typist.
Comments:
<< Home
I think I agree with you, Ted. I started my blog because of CG 2.0 disappearing - I love writing, always have, and so I wanted an outlet for my opinions. I didn't explicitly state that it'd be a gaming blog but that was the idea.
Increasingly, I find myself unmoved by gaming in general. There's still the odd moment with the wow factor (Pro Evo 4 and Richard Burns Rally are stand-out games from the last 12 months) but I care far less than I used to. I have no idea what you would describe my blog as now - last time I checked I was writing about sandwiches.
Either way, I'm reading for as long as you're writing. I can't imagine a blog entry of yours ever being anything other than interesting, entertaining, and informative, to be honest. Nice pic, by the way - that leaves only me and Kevin of the CG staff to be unmasked...
Cheers,
Adam
Increasingly, I find myself unmoved by gaming in general. There's still the odd moment with the wow factor (Pro Evo 4 and Richard Burns Rally are stand-out games from the last 12 months) but I care far less than I used to. I have no idea what you would describe my blog as now - last time I checked I was writing about sandwiches.
Either way, I'm reading for as long as you're writing. I can't imagine a blog entry of yours ever being anything other than interesting, entertaining, and informative, to be honest. Nice pic, by the way - that leaves only me and Kevin of the CG staff to be unmasked...
Cheers,
Adam
Hey Ted,
Honestly, at times at CG, I would feel the "burden" of trying to play and write about new games. In some ways, CG was turning into work instead of fun! Jonathan never put that kind of pressure on me, but I put it on myself. With the blog - what I love about it - is that I just write what I want, when I feel like it. I think only about 1 in 2 or 3 of posts is actually about gaming! The blog is just a place for me to let off some steam whenever I feel like it, no matter what the subject. I'm looking forward to what you write. Ironically, we'll probably all get to know each other a little better from these blogs...
And, Adam, some secrets are best kept revealed! Seriously, JC has seen pictures of me, when I first started writing for CG. Believe me, you aren't missing much. My kids, on the other hand, are both sites to behold! :)
Kevin
Honestly, at times at CG, I would feel the "burden" of trying to play and write about new games. In some ways, CG was turning into work instead of fun! Jonathan never put that kind of pressure on me, but I put it on myself. With the blog - what I love about it - is that I just write what I want, when I feel like it. I think only about 1 in 2 or 3 of posts is actually about gaming! The blog is just a place for me to let off some steam whenever I feel like it, no matter what the subject. I'm looking forward to what you write. Ironically, we'll probably all get to know each other a little better from these blogs...
And, Adam, some secrets are best kept revealed! Seriously, JC has seen pictures of me, when I first started writing for CG. Believe me, you aren't missing much. My kids, on the other hand, are both sites to behold! :)
Kevin
I don't know how we all exactly arrived at a gaming ennui at around the same time (maybe it was something inherent in the forum style at the old CG :) ), but I'll be happy to be here reading no matter what it is you happen to put up, games or no games.
While CG's closing inspired me to set up a blog as well, I knew in my case from the beginning that games and gaming were only going to be a small part of the content. It's your little space on the internet; do what you will!
:)
While CG's closing inspired me to set up a blog as well, I knew in my case from the beginning that games and gaming were only going to be a small part of the content. It's your little space on the internet; do what you will!
:)
Ted - glad you are back writing again! I always enjoy reading what you have to say.
It is pretty funny the way CG burned everyone out. I honestly think I would have kept things going if not for the hack attacks. I think everyone knew that gaming always came and went for me depending on my schedule, but the time spent chasing after problems was too much. The cost of having admins trying to secure the site was also a bummer; I would have rather have spent that money on games.
But enough about me. Honestly, I am glad you are pounding away on the keyboard again, and I have a feeling that you will continue to write about games more than you expect! :)
Post a Comment
It is pretty funny the way CG burned everyone out. I honestly think I would have kept things going if not for the hack attacks. I think everyone knew that gaming always came and went for me depending on my schedule, but the time spent chasing after problems was too much. The cost of having admins trying to secure the site was also a bummer; I would have rather have spent that money on games.
But enough about me. Honestly, I am glad you are pounding away on the keyboard again, and I have a feeling that you will continue to write about games more than you expect! :)
<< Home

